6 eggs at room temperature
1 cup caster sugar (220 g)
½ cup plain flour (85 g)
1 cup self-raising flour (160 g)
2 tblsps boiling water
2 cups shredded coconut (160 g)
1 cup desiccated coconut (90 g)
¼ cup raspberry jam (60 ml)
300 ml tub thickened cream whipped
4.5 cups icing sugar mixture (720 g)
½ cup cocoa powder (50 g)
50 g unsalted butter chopped
¾ cup milk (190 ml)
- Grease a deep 22cm square cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm over edges.
- To make sponge, beat eggs in a small bowl of an electric mixer until mixture reaches top of bowl. Transfer to a large bowl of an electric mixer. Beat for about 7 minutes, or until thick. With motor operating, add 1 tablespoon of sugar at a time. Sift flours twice onto a sheet of baking paper. Sift again over egg mixture. Add water. Using a large balloon whisk, gently fold to combine. Don’t stir. Pour into prepared pan.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 35 minutes, or until cooked. Turn out onto a wire rack lined with baking paper to cool. Cut into nine squares.
- To make icing, sift icing sugar and cocoa into a heatproof bowl. Add butter and milk. Sit bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Whisk until smooth and thick. Remove.
- Dip sponges, one at a time, into icing and roll in combined shredded and desiccated coconut. Place on a wire rack to set.
- To serve, split lamingtons in half. Sandwich together with jam and cream.