2 eggplants large or 3 smaller, sliced
4 potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
750 g minced lamb
2 tsp cinnamon
1 glass red wine
1 × 600 ml bottle passata
75 g butter
75 g flour
600 ml milk
mixed green salad, to serve
- Heat the oven to 190C. Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil and season, put them in a single layer on non-stick baking sheets (you’ll probably need 2 large ones). Cook for 30-40 minutes, turning once, until the eggplant are tender and golden.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until just tender, then drain well.
- Fry the onion in a little oil until soft, then add the garlic. After a minute, add the mince and brown it, breaking up any lumps. Add the cinnamon, wine and passata, season and simmer for about 30 minutes, then bubble off any excess liquid.
- Heat the butter in a pan, stir in the flour and cook for a few minutes. Gradually add the milk, stirring until you have a smooth sauce. Season.
- Turn the oven down to 180C. Layer the lamb, eggplant and potato in an ovenproof dish. Whisk the eggs into the white sauce and spoon it over the top. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the top is puffed and dark golden brown. Leave to sit for 10 minutes before cutting into large squares to serve.