Butter, for greasing
3 large desiree potatoes (1 kg)
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 bacon middle rashers, trimmed, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
300 ml tub thickened cream
Salt and pepper, to taste
½ cup coarsely grated parmesan
- Grease a deep ovenproof dish (8-cup capacity) with butter.
- Scrub potatoes under cold water until clean. Cut into 3mm slices.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion, bacon and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add cream. Bring to boil. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Layer potatoes in prepared dish. Pour over cream mixture, spreading the onion and bacon evenly over the top. Cover tightly with foil.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for about 35 to 40 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Remove foil. Sprinkle with parmesan.
- Cook, uncovered, for a further 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove. Stand for 15 minutes before serving.