Proudly supported by
A classic cake recipe always proves a favourite, so why not bake this 3-ingredient classic sponge cake? It contains no nuts so kids can take a slice to school.
4 eggs, at room temperature
⅔ cup caster sugar
1 cup plain flour
- Grease a 22cm round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above pan edge.
- Beat eggs and sugar in a small bowl of an electric mixer for about 10 minutes, or until thick and pale. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Sift flour twice onto a sheet of baking paper. Sift again over egg mixture. Using a balloon whisk, gently fold to combine. (Don’t stir.) Pour into prepared pan.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 25 minutes, or until edge of sponge has shrunk slightly away from side of pan. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Serve sponge topped with whipped cream, blueberries and sifted icing sugar. (optional).