What you’ll need:
- Bi-carb soda (baking soda)
- White vinegar (hint: here are some other ways to clean with vinegar)
- Dishwashing detergent
- Rubber gloves
- Damp wipe
- Plastic spatula
- Spray bottle
What to do:
- Firstly, remove your oven racks and anything else from inside the oven and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix half a cup of bi-carb soda with a few tablespoons of water, until you form a spreadable paste.
- Spread the paste all over the interior surfaces of your oven, steering clear of the heating elements. The paste will turn a brown colour as you rub it in but don’t worry it is just starting to do its job.
- Allow the bi-carb soda mixture to rest for at least 12 hours, or overnight.
Meanwhile, clean your oven racks:
- Line the bottom of your bathtub or a large bucket with two old towels and place racks on top.
- Fill your bathtub with very hot water until the oven racks are covered.
- Add 1/2 cup of powdered or liquid dishwasher detergent to the bath water. Swish around until dissolved.
- Let the racks soak overnight. The next day, gunk on the racks should be soft and easy to wipe off.
- The next morning, take a damp cloth and wipe out as much of the dried bi-carb soda paste as you can. Use a spatula to help scrape off the paste.
- Put a little vinegar in a spray bottle and spritz everywhere you still see baking soda residue in your oven. The vinegar will react with the baking soda and gently foam.
- Take your damp cloth and wipe out the remaining foamy mixture. Repeat until all the baking soda residue is gone. Add more water or vinegar to your cloth as needed while wiping to really get the oven clean and shiny.
- Replace the oven racks and anything else you keep in your oven, and you’re done!
If making your own isn’t up your alley here are the best store-bought options.
- Easy Off Oven Cleaner
- Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner
- Selleys Oven Kleen from Bunnings
- Tandil Ultra Powder Soak n Clean
If for some reason you’re still struggling to clean your oven you can call in the professionals, have a google but make sure you read all of the reviews!