Using coconut milk and desiccated coconut, these tropical pikelets taste amazing topped with jam and cream – they're perfect for a high tea or with a cuppa.
165 ml canned coconut milk
½ cup milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 ¼ cups self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ cup desiccated coconut
2 tbsp caster sugar
melted unsalted butter, for greasing
strawberry jam, to serve
whipped cream, to serve
- Place coconut milk, milk, egg and vanilla in a medium jug. Whisk until smooth.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir in coconut and sugar. Whisk in milk mixture until smooth.
- Heat a greased, large, non-stick frying pan with melted butter over a medium heat. Spoon 1 tbsp batter into pan. Repeat to make five pikelets.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, or until bubbles appear on the surface. Turn over. Cook for a further 2 minutes, or until golden underneath. Remove. Repeat to make 24 pikelets in total.
- Serve warm or cold pikelets with jam and whipped cream.