80 g sago pearls
250 ml (1 cup) skim milk
250 ml (1 cup) Trident canned light coconut milk
250 ml (1 cup) water
2 tbsp caster sugar or granulated sugar substitute
¼ tsp vanilla bean paste
450 g packet frozen mixed berries
1 pinch ground cinnamon
3 eggwhites, at room temperature
80 g (⅓ cup) caster sugar
- Put sago, skim milk, coconut milk, water and sugar in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Cook, stirring, until mixture comes to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 12-15 minutes or until sago is translucent and the mixture thickens. Add vanilla bean paste and stir. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Divide mixture evenly between 8 small heatproof serving glasses or dishes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, put frozen berries and cinnamon in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until Mixture is warmed through. Remove from heat. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes to allow berries to soften. Pour berry Mixture into a shallow dish. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool. Spoon cooled berry mixture over sago mixture. Cover and Refrigerate puddings for 4 hours or until well chilled.
- Remove dishes from the fridge about 30 minutes before you are ready to serve. Preheat oven to 160°C (fan-forced).
- Using electric beaters, whisk eggwhites in a large bowl on medium until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, whisking Well after each addition. Increase speed to high and whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- Spoon or pipe eggwhite mixture evenly over berry mixture. Put dishes on an oven tray. Transfer to the oven and bake for 6-8 minutes or until the meringue is light golden brown on top. Serve.