melted butter for greasing
2 Tbsp instant coffee granules
¼ cup boiling water
1 ¼ cups buttermilk
250 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
1 ½ cups caster sugar
4 free-range eggs, room temperature
1 ½ cups almond meal
2 ½ cups self-raising flour
2 tsp instant coffee granules
1 ½ Tbsp hot water
1 cup icing sugar mixture
- Grease a 21cm x 9cm deep bundt pan (9-cup capacity) with melted butter.
- Dissolve coffee in water in a small bowl. Cool slightly. Stir into buttermilk.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined.
- In two batches, fold in combined almond meal and flour, alternately with milk mixture. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for 45 minutes. Cover lightly with foil. Cook for a further 10 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean. Remove from oven. Stand in pan for 30 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make icing, dissolve coffee in water in a small bowl. Place sugar in a large bowl. Add coffee mixture. Stir until smooth.
- Spoon icing over cold cake. Stand until set.