¼ cup instant coffee granules
¼ cup boiling water
2 cups plain flour
⅔ cup cocoa powder
1 cup caster sugar
½ cup shredded coconut
175 g unsalted butter, melted
380 g can caramel topping
250 g tub sour cream
2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Grease an 18cm x 28cm rectangular slice pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above pan edges.
- Dissolve coffee in water in a small jug. Cool slightly.
- Sift combined flour and cocoa into a large bowl. Add sugar and coconut. Mix well. Add butter and 1 tbsp of the coffee mixture. Mix until well combined. Reserve 11/3 cups of the mixture and refrigerate. Press remaining mixture over base of prepared pan.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180°C) for about 15 minutes, or until firm to touch. Remove from oven. Cool. Place pan on an oven tray.
- Whisk caramel in a bowl until smooth. Add sour cream, eggs and remaining coffee mixture. Whisk until smooth. Pour over base. Sprinkle over reserved cocoa mixture.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160°C) for about 50 minutes, or until firm to touch. Remove. Cool completely in pan. Refrigerate for 4 hours, or overnight until cold.
- Lift slice from pan. Cut into pieces.