There are a couple of ways that coffee can cause weight loss:
- Caffeine consumption has been seen to increase metabolic rate and thermogenesis which means your body uses fat as fuel.
- Caffeine elevates our happy hormone, a serotonin-boosting mood which means you’re less likely to look to a sugar kick to boost your mood.
How to best consume coffee for weight loss benefits
This is the section you really need to take note in. When ordering your coffee there are a couple of things you need to keep in mind.
- Firstly, your daily coffee won’t help you lose weight if it comes with a daily slice of toasted banana bread.
- Sans sugar - the sweet stuff will help you add inches not lose them. If you are used to coffee with sugar make the switch to honey or sugar alternatives like Equal for a week before going stone cold.
- The healthiest order? Black coffee contains the least amount of calories but if you’re looking for some added protein try a simple flat-white.
What is bulletproof coffee?
Bulletproof coffee has been growing in popularity for the past couple of years but what really is it? Bulletproof coffee is a black coffee with the addition of butter, ghee or MCT oil. These fatty additions help keep you fuller for longer, are packed with energy and may cause your body to increase its metabolism.
Researchers from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University and New York Obesity Research Center have found that MCT can help aid weight loss.
“Consumption of MCT oil as part of a weight-loss plan improves weight loss compared with olive oil and can thus be successfully included in a weight-loss diet. Small changes in the quality of fat intake can, therefore, be useful to enhance weight loss,” Dr Marie-Pierre St-Onge and Dr Aubrey Bosarge reported in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.