400 g can black beans (from delis and grocers), drained, rinsed
1 cup canned or fresh corn kernels
1 red capsicum, finely diced
1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled, seeded, finely diced
4 Roma tomatoes, seeded, finely diced
4 green shallots, thinly sliced
½ bunch oregano, leaves picked, chopped
½ bunch coriander, leaves picked, chopped
1 avocado, diced
Juice of 1 lime
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ tsp ground cumin
1 pinch chilli powder
Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- Combine beans, corn, capsicum, cucumber, tomato and shallot in a large bowl and toss to combine. Gently stir in herbs and avocado.
- In a bowl, whisk together lime juice, oil, sweet chilli sauce, garlic, cumin and chilli powder. Season. Pour over salad and toss to combine.
- To serve as a garnish: Spoon over a grilled T-Bone steak and serve with chunks of iceberg lettuce, mayonnaise and lemon wedges.
- To serve as an entree: Preheat oven to 180°C. Slice tops off small tomatoes and set tops aside. Scoop out seeds and put tomato shells on an oven tray. Fill with salsa and bake for 20 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. Replace tops and serve with crisp prosciutto and lime wedges (as seen in picture).
- To serve as a canapé: Spoon salsa into white witlof leaves and top with crumbled blue cheese.