15 g golden caster sugar
100 g plain flour
190 ml whole milk
10 g butter
1- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
Good quality vanilla ice-cream, to serve
50 g butter, plus a bit extra
100 g golden caster sugar
100 ml orange juice
1 orange, zested
25 ml Grand Marnier
1 lemon, juiced
- Put the eggs, sugar, flour and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl, mix to a smooth paste using a whisk. Add the milk a little at a time, incorporating it all before adding more. Continue until all the milk is added.
- Cook the 10g butter in a small saucepan until it is a golden brown colour, shaking the pan continuously. Whisk into the crêpe mix and then sieve to remove any lumps. Leave to rest for at least 5 hours in the fridge before using.
- To cook the crêpes, heat a small crêpe or frying pan, brush it with the vegetable oil, pour in 1 1/2 tbsp of the mix. Work the mix thinly over the pan, tilting the pan or using the back of a spoon. Colour lightly for 30 seconds (the batter should be set) and turn over. Colour for another minute and remove. Repeat with all the batter. You should make about 12 thin pancakes, keep the cooked pancakes separate with a sheet of baking paper or foil.
- For the suzette sauce, melt the butter in a hot pan, add the sugar and cook to a golden brown caramel. Add the orange juice and reduce for 5 minutes. (If the sugar crystallises, keep heating the sauce until it melts again.) Add the zest and the Grand Marnier, either flambé by setting it alight (keep a lid on hand in case you need to damp down the flame and turn off your extractor fan), or simmer for another 5 minutes. Finish with a touch of lemon juice and another knob of butter.
- Warm the crêpes in the sauce, fold into quarters in the pan, and serve with vanilla ice cream.