Proudly supported by
For a slightly more indulgent take on the French classic mini treats.
120 g icing sugar, sifted
55 g (½ cup) almond meal
1 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
2 egg whites (from 50g eggs)
125 g light cream cheese
2 tbsp icing sugar, sifted, or 2 tblsps granulated sugar substitute
1 ½ tbsp jam
- Preheat oven to 150C (fan-forced). Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Place icing sugar, almond meal and cocoa powder in a medium bowl. Stir well to combine. Using electric beaters, whisk egg whites in a medium bowl until firm peaks form.
- Add egg whites to icing sugar mixture and mix until combined. Spoon teaspoons of mixture, 3cm apart, onto baking trays to make 24 macarons in total. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until macarons are crisp. Set aside on trays for 30 minutes to cool, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place cream cheese and icing sugar in a small bowl. Beat with a wooden spoon until well combined. Spread over 12 of the macarons. Spread fruit spread over remaining 12 macarons.
- Sandwich together to serve.