1 large crusty cob loaf
250 g hickory smoked bacon, finely chopped
500 g blocks cream cheese, room temperature
250 g jar sweetcorn relish
⅓ cup sour cream
olive oil spray
¼ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
breadsticks to serve
celery sticks to serve
snow peas to serve
capsicum, sliced, to serve
cucumber cut into wedges, to serve
spring onions, to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Take a slice from the top of the cob and set aside. Carefully remove the centre of the cob, leaving enough around the crust to make a case. Set the soft centre bread pieces aside.
- Cook the bacon in a frypan over medium-high heat, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until crispy. Transfer to a paper towel to drain.
- Beat cream cheese until smooth, then add the corn relish and sour cream. Mix until well combined. Add half the bacon and mix well. Season to taste with black pepper.
- Spoon cream cheese mixture into the prepared cob. Wrap tightly in a double layer of foil. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until centre is warmed through.
- Meanwhile, take the top half and cut into long strips – scissors are ideal for this step. Arrange strips in a single layer on a baking tray. Tear the soft bread centre into pieces and also place on the tray. Spray all of the bread pieces with olive oil spray and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown, tossing a few times. Allow to cool on the tray.
Transfer the cob to a serving platter and top with remaining bacon and spring onion curls. Serve with parmesan bread pieces, breadsticks, celery, snow peas, capsicum and cucumber pieces.