800 g butternut pumpkin peeled, cubed
250 g penne pasta
250 g broccoli cut into florets
50 g garlic butter
2 tblsps plain flour
2.5 cups milk (625 mls)
½ bunch fresh sage leaves picked finely sliced
1.5 cups stale bread crusts removed, roughly torn (105 g)
¾ cup grated extra tasty cheese (90 g)
salt & pepper to taste
- Place pumpkin on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 25 minutes until just tender.
- Cook penne in boiling, salted water until tender. Add broccoli and boil for 2 minutes. Drain.
- Melt butter in a pan over heat. Add flour. Stir for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Stir until sauce boils and thickens.
- Combine pasta, broccoli, sauce, pumpkin and sliced sage. Season with salt and pepper. Spread into a large ovenproof dish (14-cup capacity). Sprinkle with bread and cheese.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 30 minutes, or until golden. Serve.