These bacon and cheese pinwheels are the ULTIMATE savoury snack! I don’t know anyone who can resist them – they are perfect for the entire family and make a great treat to enjoy while watching the footy, in the kids’ lunchboxes or at your next party.
Let’s face it, the combination of bacon and cheese is pretty amazing, but what makes these that little bit extra special is the inclusion of THREE types of cheese (yep, you read that right!), which help to give them an amazing cheesy flavour. However, if you don’t have all three cheeses (or don’t want to use them) you can also just use mozzarella or tasty cheese and they will still be delicious.
I find the easiest way to cut the pinwheels is to pop the rolled up pastries into the fridge for around 15 minutes to let them firm up again. This makes it a whole lot easier to cut your pinwheels, and it also helps to stop them from getting squashed when slicing. If your pinwheels are a little out of shape, just gently work them into rounds before popping them into the oven.
Bacon and cheese pinwheels
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Total time: 40 mins
2 sheets puff pastry, partially thawed
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 slices shortcut bacon, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup tasty cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (fan-forced) and line 2 trays with baking paper.
- Place the 2 sheets of partially thawed puff pastry onto your kitchen bench. Brush the top and bottom edges lightly with the beaten egg.
- Scatter half of the bacon pieces over each sheet of pastry, leaving a 1cm border around all of the edges. Sprinkle all of the tasty cheese and parmesan cheese over the bacon pieces, and ¼ cup mozzarella over each pastry sheet.
- Starting at the bottom edge, carefully roll up the pastry. Continue to roll to enclose the filling. Repeat for the other pastry sheet.
- Place both of the rolled up sheets of pastry into the fridge for 15 minutes to firm up.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and cut each roll into 8 equal pieces. Place each pinwheel, cut side-up onto your prepared baking trays.
- Brush a small amount of beaten egg over each pinwheel and sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Place the pinwheels into the oven to cook for 12-15 minutes or until they are puffy and golden.
- If you are catering for a crowd, you can double this recipe.
- You can also substitute the cheeses listed to suit your preferences.
- This recipe is freezer-friendly. Cook first and then place in a freezer-safe container. Reheat at 180°C for 12-15mins (from frozen)
- They will store in a freezer-safe container for 3 months.
Lauren is the creator of the blog Create Bake Make where she shares simple delicious and most importantly easy recipes that the kids can help make and the entire family will enjoy. A keen home baker, Lauren is also a mum to three boys, so when she isn't breaking up arguments over toy trucks, you will find her in the kitchen baking up a storm! In her rare quiet moments, you will find her curled up with a book or the latest magazine, enjoying a hot coffee or indulging in her slight online shopping addiction. Instagram: @createbakemake