Imagine the gooey, caramel goodness of a Mars Bar, surrounded by a fluffy, chocolate muffin! Thanks to Create Bake Make, you no longer need to imagine…
I like to be prepared when it comes to stocking my pantry, so whenever I go to the supermarket and spy chocolate or baking supplies on special, I just have to add them to my trolley. While this means our pantry is ALWAYS fully stocked and has everything I need for spur-of-the-moment baking projects, it also means that I sometimes forget about special items that I’ve already bought – like the five Mars Bars I found at the back of a shelf recently that I couldn’t remember buying. To stop myself and my husband from eating them (after all, who can resist a Mars Bar?!), I decided to put them to good use and came up with this Mars Bar muffin recipe.
The idea of adding Mars Bars to my go-to chocolate muffin recipe had been on my ‘to-do list’ for a while, and now that I’ve done it, I can’t believe I waited so long – they really are soooo good! The Mars Bar pieces melt a little when baked, which means you get the taste of Mars Bars throughout the muffins, as well as pieces to enjoy with each bite – yum! These Mars Bar muffins are perfect for your next party or special occasion, and my big tip is to enjoy them warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice-cream – I promise you will love it!
Mars Bar muffins
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 40 mins
- 150 g butter, chopped into small cubes
- 2 ½ cups self-raising flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup caster sugar
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 5 x 53 g Mars bars, roughly chopped
- Preheat your oven to 190°C and line 1 ½ muffin trays (18 holes) with paper cases.
- Place butter into a microwave-safe bowl. Cook for 30 second spurts on high until it has just melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Sift the self-raising flour and cocoa powder into a large bowl, and stir through the caster sugar.
- Add the milk, eggs and vanilla to a small bowl and whisk together.
- Pour the milk mixture, along with the cooled melted butter, into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Gently mix until the ingredients have almost combined.
- Add the Mars Bar pieces and stir to combine.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin cases and place into the oven to bake for 18-20 minutes.
This recipe makes around 18 muffins when you use standard muffins tins, however you can also use large Texas-style muffin tins and you will get around 12 super-sized Mars Bar muffins.Lauren is the creator of the blogCreate Bake Makewhere she shares simple delicious and most importantly easy recipes that the kids can help make and the entire family will enjoy. A keen home baker, Lauren is also a mum to three boys, so when she isn't breaking up arguments over toy trucks, you will find her in the kitchen baking up a storm! In her rare quiet moments, you will find her curled up with a book or the latest magazine, enjoying a hot coffee or indulging in her slight online shopping addiction.