I can honestly say that I’ve never tried a brownie combination that I didn’t like and these chocolate Milo brownies are no exception.
Adding Milo to my all-time favourite brownie recipe is seriously one of my best ideas yet, and topping them with a rich chocolate icing makes these brownies something really special. One of the (many) great things about this recipe is that it’s quite likely you have all the ingredients you need sitting in your pantry and fridge already. This brownie recipe doesn’t require chocolate (yep, it’s true!) but you would never know thanks to their soft and fudgey texture.
If you are impatient like me, you can easily skip adding the chocolate icing to these Milo brownies. However, if you’ve got the self-control to wait until they have completely cooled, it will totally be worth your while. For something extra special you can then sprinkle a little more Milo over the top of the icing, making these perfect for your next party, special occasion, or for when you’re just craving something rich and delicious – you really don’t need much of an excuse to make these!
Chocolate Milo brownies
Makes: 20 pieces
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
Total time: 55 mins
- 150 g unsalted butter, softened and chopped
- 1 cup caster sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup plain flour
- ¾ cup Milo
For icing (optional):
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar mixture
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp butter, softened
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- Preheat your oven to 160°C and line a 20cm square baking tin with baking paper allowing plenty to hang over the edges – this will help you to remove the brownies once they are cooked.
- In a large saucepan (you want it to be big enough to add the extra ingredients to later), melt the butter, sugar and cocoa powder over a low heat.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the vanilla extract and eggs, whisking the mixture as you go.
- Sift the flour into the saucepan, then add the Milo and whisk to combine.
- Pour the brownie mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the surface. Place the brownies into the oven to bake for 35 minutes.
To make icing (optional):
- Allow brownies to cool in the tin. Sift together the cocoa powder and icing sugar into a medium bowl.
- Add the softened butter and pour the boiling water directly over the butter.
- Whisk together all ingredients until a smooth and spreadable consistency. If you find your icing is still a little firm, add an extra teaspoon of boiling water.
- Top the completely cool brownies with icing. Spread the icing out using a spatula or butter knife until the brownies are covered.
For an extra Milo hit, you can sprinkle more Milo over the top of the brownies.
Lauren is the creator of the blog Create Bake Make where she shares simple delicious and most importantly easy recipes that the kids can help make and the entire family will enjoy. A keen home baker, Lauren is also a mum to three boys, so when she isn't breaking up arguments over toy trucks, you will find her in the kitchen baking up a storm! In her rare quiet moments, you will find her curled up with a book or the latest magazine, enjoying a hot coffee or indulging in her slight online shopping addiction.