Banana bread is practically a staple in our house, with our entire family enjoying it as a special snack. I’ve had some fun experimenting with a few different combinations and this peanut butter banana bread recipe is one of my favourites.
Apart from how delicious this banana bread is, what I also love about this recipe is that it can be made using only one bowl, a spoon for mixing and a fork to mash up the banana. Both of my boys love helping me make this recipe, and if they spy some bananas starting to brown in the fruit bowl, they will ask if we can make ‘peanut banana cake’.
I like to use crunchy peanut butter as I like to find the little pieces of peanuts throughout the banana bread. However, if you prefer this cake to have a smoother texture, you can simply use smooth peanut butter instead. This loaf is also freezer-friendly. I like to cut it into thick slices and wrap each individually before popping them into the freezer. I can easily grab a slice (ok, maybe two!) whenever I feel like something yummy.
Peanut butter banana bread
Makes: 10 slices
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr
Total time: 1 hr 10 mins
- 1 ⅔ cups self-raising flour
- ⅓ cup caster sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 100 g crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 medium -sized bananas, mashed
- Preheat your oven to 160°C and lightly grease a 20cm x 10cm loaf tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, add self-raising flour, caster sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon and stir to combine.
- Make a well in the centre. Add eggs, coconut oil, peanut butter, vanilla extract and mashed banana to the well and mix together until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 1 hour or until the banana bread is cooked through. Every oven is different, so test by inserting a skewer into the centre of the loaf – the skewer should come out with no batter on it.
- You can substitute crunchy peanut butter for smooth, if preferred.
- This peanut butter banana bread is freezer-friendly.
Lauren is the creator of the blog Create Bake Make where she shares simple delicious and most importantly easy recipes that the kids can help make and the entire family will enjoy. A keen home baker, Lauren is also a mum to three boys, so when she isn't breaking up arguments over toy trucks, you will find her in the kitchen baking up a storm! In her rare quiet moments, you will find her curled up with a book or the latest magazine, enjoying a hot coffee or indulging in her slight online shopping addiction.