When I think about the ultimate morning or afternoon snack, these easy chocolate chip cookies immediately spring to mind. And let’s face it, there really is nothing better than sitting down with a homemade (and still a little warm and gooey) chocolate chip cookie and a glass of ice cold milk, is there?
These chocolate chip cookies are really easy to make, and best of all, this recipe makes a big batch, so you won’t have to eat them in the pantry while hiding from the kids – not that I know anyone who’s done this *wink wink*.
They are also really simple to put together and practically a no-fail. You can have a little fun with some different combinations; I also like to use white chocolate and dark chocolate chips and I’ve even used a combination of white, dark and milk chocolate for a truly indulgent (and pretty spectacular) cookie.
If you want to make even more cookies (and who could blame you?) simply use a tablespoon to scoop up the mixture and adjust your cooking time – I’d suggest checking them after 12-15 minutes.
Chocolate chip cookies
Makes: 36 cookies
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 40 mins
- 225 g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups plain flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 250 g milk chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 170C and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Place the softened butter, brown sugar and caster sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on a high speed for 5-6 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, then beat for another 3 minutes on high speed or until well combined.
- Add the plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and milk chocolate chips and mix on a low speed for 1 minute or until just combined.
- Roll into walnut-size balls and place onto the prepared baking trays and flatten slightly. Make sure to leave a 3cm gap between each chocolate chip cookie as they will spread a little. Repeat until you have used all of the mixture.
- Place your chocolate chip cookies into the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until the tops begin to turn golden brown. Carefully remove the chocolate chip cookies from the oven and after 5 minutes transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Lauren is the creator of the blog Create Bake Make where she shares simple delicious and most importantly easy recipes that the kids can help make and the entire family will enjoy. A keen home baker, Lauren is also a mum to three boys, so when she isn't breaking up arguments over toy trucks, you will find her in the kitchen baking up a storm! In her rare quiet moments, you will find her curled up with a book or the latest magazine, enjoying a hot coffee or indulging in her slight online shopping addiction.