This is quite possibly the EASIEST and most delicious caramel cake recipe you will ever try – seriously! This melt-and-mix recipe is one of my go-to recipes whenever I’m looking to make a cake which is going to impress people and make them think I’ve spent hours in the kitchen putting it together!
This cake has a fabulous dense-yet-soft texture and your spoon will cut straight through it. What makes this cake perfect for all of us caramel lovers out there, is that this recipe uses Caramel Top n Fill AND Caramello Chocolate. And then you use the leftover Caramel Top n Fill to top your cake – how easy and delicious is that?!
For an even BIGGER caramel hit, you can also sprinkle some caramel popcorn over the top, too. Alternatively, you can eat the leftover Caramel Top n Fill as a reward for all of your hard work and top your cake with a dark or white chocolate ganache instead.
If you want to cut down on dishes, you can make this cake by mixing all the ingredients together in the saucepan you use to melt the chocolate and butter in. However, if you don’t want to give your arms a good work out with all the mixing (it is a good way to burn off all the slices of cake you are going to be eating!), you can use an electric mixer.
Simple chocolate cake
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr 15 mins
Total time: 1 hr 45 mins
- 200 g unsalted butter, softened, chopped
- 100 g white chocolate, broken into pieces
- 220 g block Caramello Chocolate or other caramel filled milk chocolate bar, broken into pieces
- 200 ml water
- 380 g tin Nestle Caramel Top 'n' Fill
- ¼ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup plain flour, sifted
- 1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 50 g ready-popped sweet caramel popcorn
- Preheat oven to 150ºC and line the base and sides of a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper.
- Place the butter, white chocolate and Caramello chocolate into a large saucepan and add water. Cook over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the butter and chocolate have melted and ingredients are combined. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, pour the Caramel Top n Fill into a small bowl and whisk until a smooth consistency. Add 3/4 of the Top n Fill (approx. 200g), brown sugar and vanilla extract to the saucepan with the melted ingredients. Whisk to combine. Alternatively, you can transfer all of the ingredients to the bowl of an electric mixer if you prefer not to combine them by hand.
- Add the eggs to the chocolate mixture and mix to combine. Then add the flours and whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Pour mixture into the cake tin you prepared earlier. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until cooked through. Every oven is different, so test by inserting a skewer into the centre of the cake – the skewer should come out with moist crumbs on it.
- Once the cake has cooled completely top it with the remaining Caramel Top & Fill and decorate with caramel popcorn.
- You can also top this cake with dark or white chocolate ganache if you prefer.
- This cake will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days.Lauren is the creator of the blog Create Bake Make where she shares simple delicious and most importantly easy recipes that the kids can help make and the entire family will enjoy. A keen home baker, Lauren is also a mum to three boys, so when she isn't breaking up arguments over toy trucks, you will find her in the kitchen baking up a storm! In her rare quiet moments, you will find her curled up with a book or the latest magazine, enjoying a hot coffee or indulging in her slight online shopping addiction.