I need to start this recipe off with a warning. If you are not a fan of rich and indulgent recipes, then it’s best that you stop reading and walk away now. This Tim Tam hedgehog slice is a dessert-lover and chocoholic’s dream come true! Not only does this slice contain Tim Tams, but it’s made even more decadent with a thick layer of milk chocolate and extra Tim Tams sprinkled over the top (just to make sure you are getting to enjoy plenty of Tim Tams with every single bite!)
Every time I make this slice it’s always a hit, and when I recently made it to take over to a friend’s place for afternoon tea, it lasted a whole 5 minutes before it was quickly demolished with all of us wishing we could have more.
Because there is just so much sweet goodness in this slice, it’s important to make sure that the tin you are using is deep enough to accommodate it all. I like to use a 20cm x 20cm cake tin which has sides approximately 8cm high (which gives me plenty of room), however, you can also use a 28cm x 18cm slice tin if you prefer.
While there is no doubt that this slice looks super impressive, it’s also really simple to make (I promise!) and the hardest part is trying not to eat all of the Tim Tams before putting them into the slice!
Tim Tam hedgehog slice
Makes: 20 pieces
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 6 hrs 30 mins
250 g plain sweet biscuits, such as Marie
2 x 200 g packs Tim Tam biscuits
200 g butter
3 tbsp cocoa powder
⅓ cup desiccated coconut
395 g tin sweetened condensed milk
200 g milk chocolate
- Line a 20cm x 20cm square baking tin (which has high sides) with baking paper. Make sure you leave plenty hanging over the edges to help you remove the Tim Tam hedgehog slice once it has set.
- Roughly chop 6 of the Tim Tams into large pieces and set aside until needed.
- Place the plain biscuits into a food processor and blitz until they have just broken up. Add the remaining whole Tim Tams (approximately 1 ½ packs) and blitz for 5 seconds or until they have broken into large chunks. Place the crushed biscuits into a large bowl and set aside.
- Pour the condensed milk into a small saucepan and add the butter and cocoa. Cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until the butter has melted and the ingredients have combined.
- Pour the condensed milk mixture into the bowl with the crushed biscuits and add the coconut. Working quickly, use a large metal spoon to mix the ingredients together.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared tin and flatten the surface with the back of a spoon.
- Break the milk chocolate into squares and place it into a microwave-safe bowl. Cook in the microwave on high for 30 second spurts (mixing in between), until it's just melted. Pour over the top of the slice and sprinkle the Tim Tams you set aside earlier over the top. Place the slice into the fridge for 6 hours (preferably overnight) to set.
- Once set, remove the slice from the tin and cut into pieces.
- Instead of using a food processor to crush the plain biscuits and Tim Tams, you can also just use a rolling pin to break them up.
Lauren is the creator of the blog Create Bake Make where she shares simple delicious and most importantly easy recipes that the kids can help make and the entire family will enjoy. A keen home baker, Lauren is also a mum to three boys, so when she isn't breaking up arguments over toy trucks, you will find her in the kitchen baking up a storm! In her rare quiet moments, you will find her curled up with a book or the latest magazine, enjoying a hot coffee or indulging in her slight online shopping addiction.