½ cup caster sugar
300 ml cartons pure cream
½ cup milk
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
sliced fresh strawberries to decorate
1 cup caster sugar
½ cup water
- Arrange a folded tea towel over the base of a roasting pan. Place a 20cm round cake pan on towel.
- To make caramel, place sugar and water in saucepan. Stir over a low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil. Boil, without stirring, for 12 minutes, or until bubbles subside and mixture turns golden brown. Quickly pour into cake pan to cover base. Stand until set.
- Whisk eggs and sugar in a large heatproof bowl until pale. Heat cream, milk and vanilla in a saucepan over a medium heat until hot. Gradually whisk into egg mixture. Strain over caramel in pan.
- Pour enough boiling water into roasting pan to come halfway up side of cake pan. Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for 50 minutes, or until just set (custard should still have a slight wobble). Remove. Place cake pan on a rack. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Run a knife around inside of cake pan. Invert onto a deep serving plate. Decorate with strawberries.