Chicken schnitzel is dinnertime favourite for many families around Australia and when they were growing up, Sammy and Bella were no exception. “Our favourite meal Mum cooked for us was schnitzel, we ate it three times per week! She always used the best extra virgin olive oil to fry – but the schnitzel nuggets absorbed so much oil that it could sometimes be a bit unhealthy and expensive.”
When Sammy and Bella got their hands on an Airfryer, they decided to make a healthy version of their childhood favourite. It’s easy and kids will love getting involved in dipping and coating the zucchini and chicken. Plus, the Airfryer is so simple to use that you can just turn it on and let it do all the hard work, giving you more time to enjoy doing the things you love with the people you love.
Panko-crumbed chicken nuggets, zucchini fries and homemade natural yoghurt sauce
- 4 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1½ cups plain flour
- 4 free-range eggs, lightly whisked
- 750 g (about 3 large) zucchini, cut into spears
- 1kg free-range chicken breast, cut into nugget-size pieces
- Cooking oil spray
Natural yoghurt sauce
- 1½ cups natural yoghurt (see tips, below)
- ½ bunch dill, finely chopped
- ½ bunch parsley, leaves finely chopped
- 2 small or 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper, to taste
- For the yoghurt sauce, gently mix together the yoghurt, dill, parsley, garlic and lemon zest and juice. Season to taste, cover and refrigerate.
- Combine panko breadcrumbs, parmesan, oregano and oil in a shallow bowl and season to taste. Place the flour and eggs in separate shallow bowls.
- Dip the zucchini first in the flour, then in the egg, then finally in the panko mixture, pressing to coat well. Set aside. Repeat crumbing process with the chicken and set aside.
- Set the Airfryer to 220°C. Place zucchini in 1 layer on each level of the multi-layer basket, and air fry for 7-8 minutes or until golden. Remove and keep warm.
- Reduce Airfryer temperature to 180°C. Place a layer of the crumbed chicken nuggets on each level of the multi-layer basket, spray lightly with cooking oil spray and air fry for 10-15 minutes, or until golden and cooked through (the timing will depend on how thickly you’ve cut your chicken).
- To serve, place chicken nuggets and zucchini fries on a large serving plate alongside a generous amount of the yoghurt sauce.
- To take this recipe to the next level, you can make your own homemade yoghurt with the Philips All-in-One Cooker.
- Start the yoghurt at least 24 hours before serving. Place 2 cups skim milk in a saucepan over high heat and heat to 95C or almost boiling, then remove from heat and whisk in 1 cup skim milk powder. Allow to cool, then whisk in 2 tbsp live cultured yoghurt until smooth. Place in the All-in-One Cooker and set to yoghurt function. Once set, transfer to fridge and cool completely.