20 king prawns, peeled, deveined, tails intact
1 clove garlic, finely grated
2½ tbsp thickened cream
2 handfuls parsley, finely chopped
180 g panko breadcrumbs
75 g plain flour
1- 2 cups vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
Sea-salt flakes, to season
1 lemon cut into wedges to serve
1 large tomato
200 g whole-egg mayonnaise
2 x 7-minute boiled eggs, peeled, finely chopped
2 tsp tomato paste
1 tbsp capers, drained, chopped
¼ red onion, finely chopped
3 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
Juice of ½ lemon
- Run a sharp knife along backs of prawns to split them almost in half lengthways, then flatten out.
- Mix eggs, garlic and cream in a large shallow bowl. Combine parsley and breadcrumbs in a second bowl, then put flour in a third bowl.
- Dip prawns in flour, then in egg mixture, and finally in breadcrumb mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make dressing, cut around core of tomato and remove. Score an ‘X’ in skin at base, about 5mm deep. Put in a small saucepan of boiling water for 20 seconds or until skin splits at the ‘X’. Transfer to a bowl of iced water to cool. Using a small sharp knife, peel away skin. Cut tomato into quarters and cut away seeds, then finely dice. Combine with remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover and chill until needed (keep leftover dressing for up to 1 week).
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Fry prawns, in batches, for 1 minute on each side. Drain on paper towel and season with salt. Serve with dressing and lemon cheeks on the side.