These vegetarian Mexican tacos are stuffed with haloumi, sour cream, and canned black beans, and served with a tomato, garlic and jalepeno salsa salad.
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
250 g haloumi, thinly sliced
200 g canned black beans, drained, rinsed
4 tortillas, warmed
⅓ cup sour cream
chilli sauce, to serve
lime wedges, to serve
Mexican tomato salsa
½ small red onion, finely chopped
1 small clove garlic, crushed
juice of 1 lime
2 ripe tomatoes, diced
2 tbsp pickled jalapeño pepper slices, finely chopped
Salt and pepper, to season
- Mix Mexican tomato salsa ingredients together in a medium bowl and season. Cover and set aside.
- Combine cumin, smoked paprika and 1 tbsp of the oil in a small bowl, then rub all over haloumi.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Fry haloumi 1½ minutes each side or until golden and crusted on each side.
- Meanwhile, heat a small frying pan over a medium heat and add remaining oil then pour in beans. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon a little of the beans onto each tortilla. Add a few slices of haloumi, a little sour cream and tomato salsa and a drizzle of chilli sauce. Fold in half and serve with lime wedges.