6 frozen shortcrust pastry sheets, partially thawed
1 egg, lightly beaten
mango chutney to serve
plain yoghurt to serve
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
750 g beef mince
2 tbsp mild curry powder
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 large Desiree potato, peeled, cut into 1 cm slices
1 ¼ cup water
2 x 10 g beef stock cubes, crumbled
¼ cup mango chutney
1 cup frozen peas
- Grease six round, metal pie pans (1-cup capacity, 11cm in diameter, 4cm deep).
- To make filling, heat oil in a large, deep frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion and 44 garlic. Cook, stirring, until soft. Add mince. Cook, breaking up mince with a wooden spoon, until browned. Add curry powder. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in paste. Add potato, water, stock cubes and chutney. Bring to boil. Gently boil, covered, for 10 minutes. Add peas. Cover. Cook for a further 5 minutes, or until thickened. Refrigerate until cold.
- Cut pastry sheets in half diagonally. Line pans with half the pastry. Brush edges with egg. Divide filling among pans. Top with remaining pastry. Trim and discard scraps. Press edges with a fork to seal. Cut a small slit in tops. Brush with egg. Place on a large oven tray.
- Cook in a hot oven (200°c) for about 30 minutes. Stand for 5 minutes. Remove from pans.
- Serve with yoghurt and mango chutney.