60 g unsalted cultured butter, at room temperature
425 g 70% cocoa dark chocolate, finely chopped
175 ml cream
40 g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp dark rum
chocolate sprinkles, to roll
desiccated coconut, to roll
chopped pistachios, to roll
cocoa powder, to roll
- Whisk butter until very light, then set aside. Put 300g of the chocolate in a large bowl. In a medium saucepan over a medium heat, mix cream, sugar and vanilla. Bring to a simmer.
- Pour 1/3 of the cream mixture into the chocolate bowl. Mix well. Repeat 2 more times to add remaining cream mixture. Fold in rum, then whisk in butter. Spoon into a glass dish, cover with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Line an oven tray with baking paper. Remove chocolate mixture from fridge and set out for 30 minutes or until begins to soften. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a large plain nozzle and pipe 64 small balls onto prepared tray. Freeze for 20 minutes.
- Melt remaining chocolate. Dip truffles in chocolate, 1 at a time, then roll in sprinkles, coconut or pistachios. Set aside. For plain cocoa truffles, allow chocolate shell to set, then roll in cocoa powder.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 month.