320 g (2 cups) wholemeal self-raising flour
150 g (1 cup) self-raising flour
50 g light margarine
100 g finely chopped pitted dried dates
375 ml (1 ½ cup) buttermilk
2 tbsp milk for brushing
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
3 tsp CSR LoGiCane Low GI cane sugar
- Preheat oven to 200°C (fan-forced). Line an oven tray with baking paper. Put flours in a large bowl. Add 1 tsp ground cinnamon and the finely grated zest of 1 orange. Using your fingertips, rub margarine into flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in 100g finely chopped pitted dried dates. Add buttermilk, and using a flat-bladed knife, stir until the mixture starts to come together.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently until dough just comes together (don’t knead too much as scones will be tough). Press or roll out dough to 2cm thick.
- Using a 5cm cutter, cut out 18 shapes from dough, re-rolling when necessary. Arrange on prepared tray.
- Brush tops of scones with extra milk and sprinkle over 3 tsp CSR LoGICane Lo GI Cane Sugar. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until scones are golden brown and cooked through. Serve warm or at room temperature.