⅔ cup boiling water
½ cup cocoa powder
2 tsp instant coffee granules
½ tsp red food colouring
225 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
1½ cups caster sugar
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
⅔ cup milk
Quartered fresh strawberries and whipped cream, to serve
200 g dark chocolate, finely chopped
⅓ cup pure cream
75 g unsalted butter, finely chopped, at room temperature
- Grease a 22cm round cakepan. Line base and side with baking paper.
- Combine water, cocoa, coffee and colouring in a jug. Whisk until smooth. Cool.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Reduce speed to low. Gradually, beat in cocoa mixture until combined. Mixture will look curdled.
- Fold in combined sifted flour, baking powder and soda with milk in two batches until combined. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 1 hour, 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make frosting, place chocolate and cream in a medium heatproof bowl sitting over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat. Gradually whisk in butter until combined. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened, but still glossy.
- Spread frosting over top and side of cake. Serve with strawberries and cream.