3 tbsp olive oil
2 brown onions, diced
2 carrots, diced
1.5 kg gravy beef, cut into 2cm cubes
Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
¼ cup plain flour
1½ tbsp mild curry powder
1 cup chicken stock
1 tsp brown sugar
2 x 420 g cans condensed tomato soup
400 ml can coconut cream
2 desiree potatoes, peeled, very thinly sliced into discs
20 g butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Heat 1 Tbsp of the oil in a large, heavy-based ovenproof saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer vegetables to a plate.
- Put beef in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add flour and toss well to coat.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of the remaining oil in the same pan over a medium heat. Add ½ of the beef and brown, turning, for 5 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining beef and oil.
- Return beef to pan, then add browned vegetables. Stir in curry powder.
- Add stock, sugar and tomato soup, stirring to combine. Bring to the boil, then cover with lid. Transfer to oven and bake for 2½ hours.
- Remove from oven and stir in coconut cream. Return covered pan to oven and bake for a further 15 minutes. Divide mixture among six 1½-cup capacity ovenproof dishes.
- Increase oven to 200°C. Put potato slices and butter in a large bowl, tossing to combine. Arrange slices on top of stew, slightly overlapping. Season, then put dishes in oven and bake for a further 20 minutes or until golden brown.