¼ cup vegetable oil
20 g butter
⅓ cup plain flour
1 large brown onion, finely diced
1 green capsicum, deseeded, diced
2 sticks celery, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ tsp ground white pepper
½ tsp ground black pepper
2½ cups chicken stock
500 g thick white boneless fish cut into 5 cm pieces
2 calamari hoods, cleaned, sliced into rings
12 sprigs lemon thyme
12 green prawns, peeled, deveined, tails intact
1 ½ cups white basmati rice steamed to serve
ground cayenne pepper for dusting
1 lemon cut into wedges to serve
- Heat oil and butter in a large deep frying pan over a medium heat until butter has melted and mixture is hot.
- Add flour. Whisk to combine.
- Cook, whisking constantly, for 4-5 minutes or until mixture turns a rich dark red-brown colour. Take care flour does not burn.
- Add onion, capsicum, celery, garlic, and white and black pepper, then stir until combined. Cook for 3 minutes or until soft.
- Turn off heat or remove from stovetop and stir through stock.
- Return to heat and stir constantly until mixture comes to the boil. Transfer to the bowl of a 4.5L-capacity slow cooker.
- Add fish, calamari and thyme. Set appliance to low, then cover and cook for 3 hours.
- Add prawns and scallops to gumbo. Cover and cook for a further 15 minutes or until seafood is cooked through. Spoon rice into serving bowls, top with gumbo and garnish with a pinch of cayenne pepper, if using. Serve with lemon wedges and cornbread.