2 tbsp oil
500 g Australian premium beef mince
2 cloves garlic, crushed
¼ cup tomato paste
2 cups tomato pasta sauce
½ cup red wine
½ cup water
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper, to season
2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground allspice
1 large eggplant, or 2 medium, sliced
500 g natural yoghurt
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat oil in a large deep pan and brown mince with garlic and tomato paste, breaking meat up with a wooden spoon as it browns.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir and simmer gently 15 minutes, stirring now and then. Check seasoning and adjust to taste.
- Mix spices through meat sauce. Place half the sauce in a baking dish (about 25cm x 30cm) and cover with half the sliced eggplant.
- Top with remaining meat sauce and then another layer of eggplant.
- Mix the yoghurt with egg and parmesan and spread over eggplant. Sprinkle with a couple of handfuls of extra cheese.
- Bake until golden and bubbling and eggplant is tender, about 1 hour.