This simple spin on moussaka makes a hearty vegetarian main meal
260 g jar char-grilled capsicum strips in oil
3 medium eggplants (1 kg), cut into 3cm thick rounds
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
Salt and pepper, to taste
250 g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
¼ cup pine nuts
3 cloves garlic, crushed
⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley plus extra to serve
180 g tub baby bocconcini, drained
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 loaf crusty bread to serve
1 packet mixed salad leaves to serve
- Drain capsicum, reserving 2 tablespoons of the oil. Place capsicum in a large bowl.
- Place eggplants in a roasting pan. Drizzle over reserved oil. Sprinkle with thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C), turning halfway through, for about 45 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, add tomatoes to capsicum. Stir in nuts, garlic, parsley and bocconcini. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove pan from oven. Increase oven to hot (200C). Drizzle juice over eggplant. Spoon over capsicum mixture.
- Return pan to oven. Cook for about 20 minutes, or until tomatoes are tender and bocconcini are golden.
- Serve with green salad and crusty bread. Garnish with extra parsley.