2 large eggplants (380 g each)
1 tbsp sea salt flakes
¼ cup olive oil
Rocket leaves, to serve
Lemon wedges, to serve
Extra virgin olive oil, to serve
1 cup fresh parsley leaves
½ cup fresh mint leaves
2 cloves garlic
1½ cups Greek yoghurt
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 Lebanese cucumber, coarsely grated
Salt and pepper, to taste
350 g full-fat ricotta
200 g Greek feta, crumbled
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano
- To make herbed tzatziki, combine parsley, mint and garlic in a small food processor. Process until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in yoghurt, oil and juice.
- Squeeze out any excess moisture from cucumber. Stir into yoghurt mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate.
- Trim and discard tops from eggplants. Using a V-slicer, cut lengthways into 1cm-thick slices. Layer eggplant in a colander, sprinkling with salt between each layer. Stand for 30 minutes. Rinse under cold water. Pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper. Brush both sides with oil.
- Heat a large grill plate over a medium to high heat. Add eggplant in five batches. Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until charred and tender. Transfer to a tray lined with baking paper. Cool.
- To make ricotta filling, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season. Mix well.
- To assemble, place a heaped tablespoon of filling onto the widest end of each eggplant slice. Roll up to enclose. Place on a serving plate.
- Serve with herbed tzatziki, rocket leaves and lemon wedges. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.