500 g rock salt
6 large Dutch cream potatoes, washed, skin on
4 Tbsp grape seed oil or olive oil
6- 8 large Italian-style pork sausages
6 large red onions, halved, finely sliced
4 cloves garlic, finely sliced
4 sticks celery, halved lengthways, finely sliced
6- 8 sprigs of thyme, woody ends removed plus extra to garnish
2 Tbsp water
50 g butter plus extra to serve
500 ml red wine
250 ml beef stock
Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Spread rock salt on an oven tray and put potatoes on top. Bake for 1 hour or until cooked.
- Meanwhile, add 1 tsp of the oil to a large shallow flameproof pan over a high heat. Add sausages and cook for 3 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to same pan, reduce heat to medium and add onions, garlic and celery. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add star-anise and thyme. Increase heat to medium-high and cook onion mixture for 10 minutes or until lightly caramelised. Stir in water and ½ of the butter. Reduce heat to low, place lid on pan and cook for 25 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high, remove lid from pan and cook for 2 minutes. Add red wine and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add stock and bring to the boil. Put sausages back in pan and season. Roast, uncovered, in oven for 20 minutes or until sauce is reduced and sausages are cooked through (if sauce needs further reduction, put pan over a medium heat and cook until further reduced). Stir through remaining butter.
- Remove potatoes from oven. Using a potato masher, compress potatoes slightly. Put onto serving plate, along with 1-2 sausages. Spoon over sauce, garnish with extra thyme, and serve with extra butter on top of potatoes.