These party starters are a relaxed way to entertain friends.
1 ½ cups wholemeal plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp fennel seeds, lightly crushed
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 tsp poppy seeds
½ tsp salt
½ cup warm water
¼ cup olive oil
cooking oil spray
quince paste, to serve
cheddar cheese slices, to serve
- Line three large oven trays with baking paper.
- Place flour in a large bowl. Stir in seeds and salt. Make a well in the centre. Add water and olive oil. Stir until well combined.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Bring mixture together with your hands. Knead to form a dough. Shape into a log. Cut into six equal portions.
- Shape each portion into a ball. Place on a tray. Spray with oil. Cover with plastic wrap. Stand for 20 minutes.
- One at a time, roll out portions on a lightly floured surface, dusting with extra flour as necessary, into a 15cm x 30cm oval shape. Arrange on prepared trays.
- Cook two trays in a moderate oven (180C), swapping trays halfway through, for about 15 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Remove. Cool on trays. Repeat with remaining tray. Break into large pieces.
- Serve crackers with quince paste and cheese on a platter.