2 x 340 g packets golden buttercake mix
milk bottle gummy lollies, to decorate
chocolate freckles (we used yellow ones), to decorate
large jelly beans, to decorate
mini jelly beans, to decorate
edible silver balls (we used yellow ones), to decorate
mini chocolate bits, to decorate
spearmint leaf lollies, to decorate
floristry wire and ribbon, to decorate
400 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
4 cups icing sugar mixture
1 cup milk
pink food colouring gel
yellow food colouring gel
purple food colouring gel
red food colouring gel
green food colouring gel
- Grease a Wilton 12-hole muffin pans (1/3-cup capacity) with paper cases. Line a 12-hole mini muffin pan (1½-tbsp capacity) with mini paper cases.
- Prepare cake mixes, one at a time, according to packet directions. Fill muffin pan holes with 1/3 cup of mixture and mini muffin pan holes with 1 tbsp of mixture.
- Cook large pans in a moderate oven (180C) for about 22 minutes, or until cooked. Stand for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Cook mini muffin pan in same moderate oven for about 12 minutes, or until cooked.
- To make frosting, beat butter in a large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, ½ cup at a time, beating until smooth. Beat in milk. Divide frosting into six portions. Leave one white, and tint remaining pink, yellow, purple, red and green.
- Spread cupcakes with white, pink, yellow, purple and red frosting. Spread mini cupcakes with green frosting.
- Cut milk bottles in half and position on cakes with yellow freckles for daisies. Position large and small jellybeans on remaining cupcakes, with pearls in the centres for gerberas and mini choc bits in the centres for sunflowers, as pictured. Decorate mini cupcakes with mint leaves.
- Position cakes on a large cake board with wires and ribbon to make a bouquet.