Melted butter, to grease
80 g dark cooking chocolate, chopped
120 g butter
1 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
⅔ cup plain flour
¼ tsp baking powder
400 g caramel lollies, such as Columbines
2 Tbsp evaporated milk
1 Tbsp water
1½ cups puffed rice cereal
75 g butter
1¼ cups caster sugar
½ cup evaporated milk
200 g marshmallows
¼ cup creamy peanut butter
⅓ cup thickened cream
300 g dark cooking chocolate, chopped
60 g butter
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 33 x 23 x 5cm slice tin. Line with baking paper.
- Put chocolate and butter in a medium saucepan and stir over a low heat until melted and smooth. Cool slightly.
- To make brownie layer, stir 1 cup of sugar into chocolate mixture in saucepan. Add eggs, one at a time, beating with a wooden spoon after each addition until just combined. Stir in vanilla. Stir in flour and baking powder until just combined. Spread batter evenly in prepared tin. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until edges start to pull away from sides of tin. Cool in tin on a wire rack.
- To make the caramel layer, put caramels, evaporated milk and water in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on 100% (high) for 2½-3 minutes or until caramels are melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in puffed rice. Spread caramel mixture over brownie layer, spreading to edges. Put tin in freezer.
- To make nougat layer, combine butter, sugar and evaporated milk in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Boil at a moderate, rate without stirring for 8-10 minutes. Put marshmallows and peanut butter in a large heatproof bowl. Gradually whisk hot sugar mixture into marshmallow mixture until combined. Pour nougat mixture over caramel layer, spreading to edges. Replace tin in freezer.
- To make chocolate layer, put cream, chocolate and butter in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Pour chocolate mixture over nougat layer, spreading to edges. Cover loosely with foil and chill 2 hours. Use edges of baking paper to lift from tin. Cut into squares. Serve.