What is the best way to freeze mango?
While mangos can be frozen whole, they take on a slightly different texture when thawed. Because of this, it’s best to first cut the fruit into bite-sized pieces. To do this, you’ll need a knife or vegetable peeler and a corn-on-the-cob holder.
RELATED: Spicy mango chicken drumsticks
Here’s a step-by-step guide via Aussie Mangoes:
- Wash the mango thoroughly.
- Hold the mango in one hand and peel the mango with a vegetable peeler. Put the peeler away.
- Slice off the top and bottom of the mango with a knife.
- Insert a corn holder into the mango from one end. This will steady the mango while you slice it. The mango can actually stand by itself which is very helpful.
- Hold the corn holder and slice off the cheeks.
- Cut the flesh off the pit carefully.
- Your mango is ready to be sliced or cubed.
Once your mango is portioned, you can place them in a baking tray or shallow casserole dish and freeze for 3-5 hours (or until firm.) The idea of freezing the mango in individual pieces, is to stop the fruit from forming big clumps in the freezer. Next, transfer the mango pieces to a zip lock bag or airtight container. Make sure to label this with the date before returning them to the freezer.
RELATED: Mango lamingtons
What if you’re freezing mango portions?
If you’re wanting to freeze mango in large quantities, the method will differ slightly from the above. Simply, remove the cheeks and peel. Wrap each portion in Glad wrap and place them on a baking tray in a single layer. Freeze until firm, then transfer the wrapped cheeks to an airtight container and return them to the freezer. Then, when needed, simply thaw and chop or puree the flesh according to your recipe.
What is frozen mango used for?
There are loads of ways to use up frozen mangos. They are a perfect way to add sweetness to smoothies, cocktails and desserts, made into a mango chutney or salsa and can even be added to salads and cereal.
Here are a few other recipes to try:
How long does frozen mango last?
Properly stored, mango should last between 10-12 months in the freezer. After this time, the taste and texture may be compromised although they will generally still be safe to eat.
RELATED: Mango tarts