2 tbsp olive oil
4 frenched lamb shanks
2 medium parsnips peeled, chopped
1 bunch dutch carrots trimmed, peeled
1 bunch spring onions trimmed
40 g packet french onion simmer soup mix
2 tbsp cornflour
2 cups water (500 ml)
1 cup red wine (250 ml)
¼ cup tomato paste (65 g)
1 tbsp brown sugar
cracked black pepper to taste
1 kg potatoes mashed to serve
400 g peas steamed to serve
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium to high heat. Cook lamb until well browned all over. Place in the removable bowl of a 5-6 litre capacity slow cooker with parsnips and carrots.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add spring onions to same frying pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes or until softened and golden brown.
- Combine French onion soup mix, cornflour, water, wine, paste and sugar in a jug. Add to onions in frying pan. Bring to boil. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Pour over lamb.
- Cover with lid. Cook on Low for 7 –8 hours or on High for 4 – 5 hours. Season with pepper.
- Serve lamb with mashed potatoes and steamed peas.