350 g white short-grain rice or long-grain rice
450 g water, plus extra for steaming
light olive oil, as needed (approximately 100 g)
- Soak rice in water overnight, or up to 2 days.
Line steamer tray with baking paper and brush with plenty of oil.
- Place rice and soaking liquid into Thermomix bowl. Blend 2 min/speed 9. Add more water if batter is too thick and blend further 1 min/speed 9 (the batter should be very pourable – almost watery – but very smooth). Pour the batter into a jug and set aside.
- Fill Thermomix bowl to 1L mark with water. Bring to the boil 10 min/Varoma/speed 3. Pour first layer of batter to fully cover the steamer tray in a very thin layer and cook 6 min/Varoma/speed 4, until the shine has gone from the batter and you can see it is in one solid piece.
- Remove noodle and cut into strips, placing into a small amount of cool water until use. Repeat steaming with remaining batter as many times as necessary to use up the batter, brushing the baking paper with more oil between batches. (Don’t be afraid to use lots of oil as this will help keep the noodles separate.) When last layer has finished cooking, cut into thin strips and place all noodles into an insulated serving bowl.
- They are ready to serve, or place them into zip-lock bags and keep refrigerated for up to 3 days.