1 cup buttermilk
¼ cup lemon juice
4 chicken breast steaks, cut in half diagonally
vegetable oil, for shallow frying
250 g bag store-bought coleslaw
¼ cup whole-egg aioli
4 butter lettuce leaves
4 brioche burger buns, halved, lightly toasted
1 cup plain flour
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp sweet paprika
2 tsp mixed dried herbs
- Combine buttermilk and 2 tbsp of the juice in a shallow dish. Add chicken. Turn to coat. Refrigerate, covered, turning halfway through, for 2 hours.
- To make spice mix, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.
- One at a time, remove chicken from buttermilk mixture, allowing excess to drip away. Coat in spice mix, shaking off excess. Discard buttermilk mixture.
- Heat enough oil in a large, deep frying pan over a medium heat to shallow-fry. Add chicken in two batches. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side, or until cooked. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Combine coleslaw with aioli and remaining juice in a bowl.
- Divide lettuce among base of rolls. Top with chicken and coleslaw. Replace tops.