200 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
¾ cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 ¾ cups self-raising flour
½ cup milk
¼ cup fresh passionfruit pulp (about 3 passionfruits), plus extra, to decorate
2 cups icing sugar mixture
50 g unsalted butter, melted
2 tbsp milk
- Grease a 20cm round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above pan edge.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add sifted flour, milk and passionfruit in two batches. Stir until smooth. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven. Stand cake in pan for 15 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make frosting, combine icing sugar, butter and milk in a small bowl. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Spread frosting over top of cake. Spoon over extra passionfruit.