What you’ll need
- Airtight container
- Waxed baking paper (optional)
How to do it
- Peel each banana, and put the peel in your compost bin, on the garden or in the bin.
- Freeze whole or break into 3cm chunks, placing them in an air-tight container.
- To stop the bananas from sticking together you could place a piece of waxed baking paper between layers.
- Label and date your container.
How many calories are there in a banana?
There are approximately 105 calories in a medium banana (7-8 inches long).
Can you freeze mashed bananas?
Freezing mashed bananas is a great way to save time, simply mash with the back of a fork and place in a snaplock bag. Squeeze any excess air out making sure you label the bag with the number of bananas inside (it’s easy to forget!).
How to thaw?
If you’re making a smoothie or ice cream there’s actually no need for thawing, throw them straight in the blender. But if you’re using frozen bananas in baked goods remove them from the freezer and leave them on the bench to thaw completely before using.
How long can you freeze bananas for?
Whilst we recommend freezing bananas for between six and eight months a little longer won’t hurt. After time you might notice a little freezer burn but it won’t damage the bananas.
Here are a couple of our favourite banana recipes.
Sticky Banoffee Self-Saucing Pudding
This super yum pud just might be best you'll ever try! Get the full recipe.
Coconut & banana pancakes
This vegan brunch recipe will get a 10 out of 10 from your family! Get the full recipe.
Quick banana ice cream sandwiches
This tastes even better than it looks, trust us! Get the full recipe.