240 g caster sugar
60 g blanched almonds
4 peaches, halved
300 ml whipping cream
100 ml maple syrup, plus extra to serve, if desired
- Preheat oven to 140˚C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper and draw 3 rectangles, 24cm x 10cm each, on the paper. Turn the baking paper over. Lightly grease a separate baking tray.
- Place eggwhites in a clean, grease-free bowl with a pinch of salt. Then, using an electric whisk, whisk until stiff peaks form. Gradually add 175g of the sugar, whisking well after each addition. Whisk until meringue is stiff and glossy.
- Divide between the rectangles on the trays. Bake for 1 hour, moving trays around during cooking if your oven does not cook evenly. Leave to cool in oven.
- Meanwhile, heat a frypan over a medium-high heat, add almonds and toast for 2–3 minutes until golden all over, shaking frypan regularly. Transfer to a bowl. Place the remaining sugar into the frypan over a medium heat and melt, tilting pan from side to side; do not stir. This should take 2–3 minutes. Add almonds and stir to coat, then quickly tip almonds onto the greased tray, being careful as the melted sugar is very hot. Smooth with the back of a metal spoon and leave to cool completely.
- Using a blender, blitz 4 peach halves until smooth. Next, using an electric whisk, whisk cream with maple syrup until it forms soft peaks, then fold in peach puree and whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Place a large piece of cling film onto a baking tray that will fit in your freezer. Place one layer of meringue on top. Spread half of the peach cream on top and smooth. Top with a second meringue and remaining peach cream, then top with remaining meringue. Enclose in the cling film and freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove from freezer about 10 minutes before serving to allow the cream to thaw slightly.
- Next, lightly brush remaining peach halves with oil and chargrill briefly. Cut into wedges. Break up almond praline and scatter over cake. Serve in slices with extra maple syrup, if desired, and grilled peaches.