1½ cups plain flour
125 g butter, chopped
¼ cup icing sugar mixture
1 egg yolk
1- 2 tbsp water
Sliced kiwifruit and strawberries, to decorate
¼ cup warm apricot jam
1 tsp powdered gelatine
2 tsp water
1⅔ cup vanilla custard
½ cup thickened cream, at room temperature
2 tbsp icing sugar mixture
- Grease a 24cm-round loose-base flan tin.
- Process flour, butter and icing sugar in a food processor until mixture resembles crumbs. Add yolk and enough water to form a soft dough. Remove. Flatten into a disc. Cover. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough between two sheets of baking paper until large enough to line base and side of prepared tin. Trim edge. Cover with sheet of baking paper. Fill with dried beans or rice.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for 15 minutes. Remove paper and beans. Reduce oven to moderate (180C). Cook for 10 minutes. Cool.
- To make filling, sprinkle gelatine over water in a small heatproof jug. Stand jug in a pan of simmering water. Stir until dissolved. Remove.
- Heat custard until just warm. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in gelatine. Add cream and icing sugar. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour filling into flan case. Refrigerate overnight.
- Arrange fruit over flan and brush with warm apricot jam to serve.