3 cups plain flour
⅓ cup caster sugar
200 g cold unsalted butter, chopped
1- 2 tbsp cold water
Extra 1 egg, lightly beaten
icing sugar mixture, to decorate
1 ½ cups mixed dried fruit (220g)
½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 green apple, peeled, cored, grated
3 tsp finely grated orange rind
2 tbsp orange juice
2 tbsp water
2 tsp mixed spice
50 g unsalted butter, chopped
2 tbsp brandy
- Lightly grease a 12-hole muffin pan (1/3 cup capacity).
- To make filling, combine all ingredients, except butter and brandy, in a medium saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until liquid is almost evaporated and mixture is soft. Stir in butter. Transfer to a large bowl. Cool. Stir in brandy.
- To make pastry, process flour, sugar and butter in a food processor until mixture resembles fine crumbs. With motor operating, add egg and enough water to form a soft dough. Remove. Shape into a flat disc. Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Roll out two-thirds of the dough between two sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Cut out 12 rounds, using a 9cm round cutter, re-rolling dough as necessary. Line prepared pan with rounds. Refrigerate for 15 minutes, or until firm.
- Divide filling among pastry cases. Roll out remaining dough between baking paper until 5mm thick. Cut out 12 rounds using a 6 1⁄2cm round cutter, re-rolling dough as necessary. Top pies with rounds. Press to seal. Brush with extra egg.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve dusted with sifted icing sugar.