2½ cups plain flour
⅔ cup icing sugar mixture
175 g cold unsalted butter, chopped
1- 2 tbsp cold water
1 tbsp raw sugar
Double cream, to serve
2 cups mixed dried fruit (360 g)
2 small Granny Smith apples (300 g), peeled and grated
½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
¼ cup orange juice
¼ cup water
2 tsp finely grated orange rind
2 tsp mixed spice
75 g unsalted butter, chopped
2 tbsp brandy
- Grease a 13cm x 35cm rectangular loose-base flan tin. Place on an oven tray.
- To make fruit mince, combine all ingredients, except for butter and brandy, in a saucepan over a high heat. Bring to boil. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until liquid has been absorbed. Stir in butter until melted. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl. Cool to room temperature. Stir in brandy.
- Process flour, icing sugar and butter in a food processor until fine crumbs form. With motor operating, add one of the eggs and enough water until mixture forms a soft dough. Transfer to a clean bench. Shape into a flat disc. Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Roll out two-thirds of the dough, between two sheets of baking paper, until large enough to line prepared tin. pastry into tin. Trim edges. Pinch pastry against side of tin to extend pastry ½cm above edges. Spoon in fruit mince.
- Roll out remaining dough between two sheets of baking paper until large enough to cover filling. Using a 4½cm star cutter, cut out five shapes from the centre of pastry, as pictured. over filling. Trim edges and pinch pastry together to seal. Brush top with remaining lightly beaten egg. Sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool in tin.
- Cut tart into slices. Serve with double cream.