cooking oil spray
4 eggs, at room temperature
⅔ cup caster sugar, plus extra, for dusting
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
½ cup self-raising flour
3 tsp ground ginger
¼ cup almond meal
2 tbsp boiling water
2 tbsp sliced natural almonds, toasted
100 g white chocolate, chopped
400 ml thickened cream
- Spray a 26cm x 32cm Swiss roll pan with cooking oil. Line base and long sides with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above pan edges. Spray with oil.
- Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl of an electric mixer on high speed for about 4 minutes, or until pale and thick.
- Sift combined flour and ginger over egg mixture. Add almond meal and water. Gently fold until just combined. Pour into prepared pan.
- Cook in a moderately hot oven (190C) for 10 minutes, or until sponge springs back when lightly touched.
- Place a large sheet of baking paper on a clean tea towel on a bench. Dust with extra caster sugar. Immediately turn out sponge onto paper. Remove lining paper. Working from one long side, firmly roll up sponge with paper and tea towel inside. stand until cooled to room temperature.
- To make filling, stir chocolate and ¼ cup of the cream in a medium heatproof bowl sitting over a pan of simmering water until melted. Transfer to a small bowl. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes, or until cold and thick.
- Beat remaining cream in a small bowl of an electric mixer until firm peaks form. Using a metal spoon, gently fold chocolate mixture into cream. Do not over-mix.
- Unroll sponge. Remove paper and tea towel. Spread 1¼ cups filling over sponge. Roll up to enclose. Transfer to a serving plate.
- Spread remaining filling over sponge. Using the back of a teaspoon, make long indentations into filling. Trim ends. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, scatter over almonds.